I thought I’d take a break from the all the sugary treats I’ve been sharing (don’t worry I’ll be reviewing more summery sweets very soon) to introduce a new product that I absolutely love, that’s semi-local to me, and is delicious! Plus, who doesn’t love a good ol’ fashioned recipe, right?
You might recall my post about Hodo Soy from April where I raved about this fabulous company and their Spicy Yuba Strips and shared a recipe for vegan Mango Stir Fry. Hodo Soy, a great organic tofu company out of Oakland, California, continues to steal my little vegan, tofu-loving heart. Today I am featuring my love of their Tofu Skins. Like Yuba, I hadn’t heard of Tofu Skins until recently and let me tell you they are delicious! Go get your hands on some as soon as you can, and if you are a lover of spring rolls, you are certain to love this gluten free, non-dairy, nut-free, egg-free and of course totally vegan recipe. Get your spring roll on!
- 1 medium onion (julienned lengthwise)
- 1/2 red pepper (julienned lengthwise)
- 1/2 yellow pepper (julienned lengthwise)
- 1/2 orange pepper (julienned lengthwise)
- 1 (12 ounce) package of organic shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon of tamari sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
- salt (to taste)
- 1 package (5 ounces) Hodo Soy Hand-Made Yuba (Tofu Skins)
- Hoisin sauce
To prepare the filling:
- In a frying pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add peanuts and ginger and roast until lightly golden in color
- Remove peanuts from pan and set aside
- Add onion and fry until tender and lightly golden
- Add all sliced peppers and fry until shiny
- Add shredded cabbage or slaw mix and saute until tender
- Drizzle sesame oil over and mix to bring oil to temperature
- Drizzle tamari sauce over and stir well
- Add salt to taste
- Remove from heat and spread on cookie sheet to cool
To prepare the rolls:
- Open the Hodo Soy Yuba Skin package and spread over cutting board
- Slice the skins in half
- Place a full Tablespoon of filing at the edge of the sheet
- Fold edges in and roll ’em up (pictured below)
The rolls are ready to pan fry. Place over medium-high heat in frying pan covered with a Tablespoon of olive oil and fry until golden brown.
Cut rolls diagonally across (in half) and serve with hoisin sauce (for dipping). Enjoy!