Today I welcome the beautiful Schyler Whitney from Ms Vegan to the blog for the very first time! Schyler and I met briefly during one of my many trips to Los Angeles (always in search of vegan food, of course). Even before we met in person, I admired her plant based recipes for years through social media and I knew one day I wanted to feature her on my site. The day has arrived and I am SO excited to share Ms Vegan’s recipe for her Grub (crab) Cakes with all of you! As a former true seafood lover, I am especially enthused about this recipe and can’t wait to make in my own kitchen very soon!
Welcome to Cowgirls & Collard Greens Schyler; many thanks for sharing your yummy recipe! It’s sure to win over the tastebuds of both real seafood lovers and vegans alike!
What I call Grub Cakes, others call ‘Crab Cakes.’ I absolutely love watching the Food Network, particularly Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. I get inspired by all the food presented on the shows. Unfortunately most of it is not Vegan. However, that is where I get my inspiration. I want to be able to recreate childhood favorites, comfort foods and bar food classics into dishes that Vegans and Non Vegans can enjoy together without the harm to innocent animals. Where there is a will, there is a way and we’re on our way…
Whenever I see ‘Crab Cakes’ on the show with the special remoulade sauce on top I stop whatever I’m doing and pay full attention. That’s when I knew “I must recreate these bad boys.” And that’s exactly what I did and you can do too.
These will change your life.
Ingredients for Grub Cakes:
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1-14oz can of hearts of palm
½ sweet onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped bell pepper (I used yellow and orange)
3 teaspoons of creole seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning
1 tbl of Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp of white or red wine vinegar
1 Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg, prepared
2 green onions, chopped, use green and white part
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons FYH Vegenaise
½ cup flour, seasoned with a little salt and pepper
Roughly ¼ cup of oil for frying
Chopped parsley or green onions for serving
- In a food processor pulse your hearts of palms 3 times or more.
Hearts of palm should be shreds and look flaky, like crab meat
(If you don’t have a food processor, just give them a good rough chop).
- Heat a little olive oil in a medium pan.
- Add in your onion and bell pepper. Sauté for roughly 5 minutes. Onion should be opaque, drain liquid from onions and peppers.
- In a mixing bowl add hearts of palm, sautéed onion pepper mix, bread crumbs, creole seasoning, green onions, vegan mayo, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic salt, vegan egg. Mix well.
- Form the batter into half dollar size balls, roll into flour and form into patties.
- Let the patties chill in freezer 10 minutes before frying
- Heat your frying oil over medium high heat
- Once oil is hot add in your patties, in batches
- Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy
- Serve with remoulade sauce, recipe below, and sprinkle with parsley or green onions
- Serve and Enjoy!
Ingredients for Remoulade sauce
4 tablespoons of FYH Vegenaise
1 tablespoon of ketchup
1-2 teaspoon’s sriracha, or other hot sauce of choice
Juice of half lemon
½ teaspoon of ground mustard
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
Lemon pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour before using.
- Taste and if you want an extra kick add more hot sauce
About Ms Vegan
Raised on meat, now watch me-eat! A former meat eating, cheese lover turned Vegan providing dishes and recipes that will change your mind about vegan food and keep all vegan bellies happy. Turning carnivores into herbivores, one dish at a time.